Today we took Duke for his second visit to the vet. Adam let me tag along this time as I had an hour or so of free time before dragging my tooshy to work.
First of all, Duke hates car rides, and second of all he's terrified of the vet (for obvious reasons that will be revealed later). After a 10 minute car ride of whining and tipping his kennel on its side with every turn, we arrived at the vet. As we walked in, Duke proceeded to drool all over daddy's jacket and the tile floor of the office (he does that when he gets nervous). When we were called in to the room and he was placed on the table, he attempted his escape. Luckily he was saved from his 3-foot fall by the vet's assistant. This assistant then pinned him down while the vet shoved a thermometer up his bum, squeezed his tummy, pinched up his skin and gave him a shot, checked inside his ears, and clipped his nails (making one bleed profusely). Meanwhile, I'm sitting there watching all of this, feeling like a proud parent getting the positive feedback on our puppy's health, and yet feeling like a horrible parent allowing them to violate him in such a way.
Once they finished, he was given a treat and sent on his way.
After making his next appointment (good thing he doesn't understand what we were saying, because my guess is he would have jumped out of my arms and ran at the sound of "neutering") we placed him back in his kennel and headed for home. Just as we turned on to Main St. our noses perked up to an overwhelmingly rancid smell...dog poo. Finishing our drive with the windows down and fingers in our nostrils (which may have appeared odd to other drivers if they couldn't see the dog kennel in the back seat), we arrived home and opened Duke's kennel to find much more than we'd bargained for. Not only did he pinch quite a load...he also upchucked more than I could after a very large meal. Who knew such a small puppy could hold so much nasty?
In short, after today's expedition to the vet, Adam and I are not so sure we will be fit parents because after all, how can we handle a child if we can't even save our puppy from violation and puke?
Which brings me to my next point...when did I become a dog person??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Hilarious! Roxy knows the vet and as soon as we get there just starts dragging on the floor or if we pick her up she wraps herself around our neck in fear. Poor Duke! Especially about the nail clipping, I can't believe they made him bleed.
And seriously, when did you become a dog person? I think its just different when its your dog, Ryan and I didn't anticipate what dog freaks we would become.
Becoming a dog person is like an insidious disease process. It creaps up on you. At first you're not sure what's happening, you just feel a little uncomfortable, but you think to yourself, its just flu season. Then you've got fever, chills, headache, myalgias and arthralgias. Next thing you know you've got a carbuncle on your neck oozing puss, a necrotizing fasciitis eating your leg, and rectal prolapse (dare you go google image this, it'll change your life). Anyway, where was I...oh yea, dog person...Next thing you know you talk to your dog more than you talk to other people, you find yourself talking about your dog when you're with other people, and you have a picture of your dog as your cell phone wallpaper.
Welcome to the dog person club. Also, you should have that stuff checked, its grossing me out.
If you couldn't tell, I left the above comment accidentally under rachel's name.
Yes, when did you become a dog person...I an counting on my cousins becoming BABY people. :) Dogs don't smell as good as babies!
Tonya! your puppy is ADORABLE!!! :)
Ryan I was really wondering if you were gonna try to pass of that comment as Rachel, I was pretty sure it was you haha. And just so you know you kinda freaked me out cuz I already do those things!! Not the puss stuff but the talking to my dog more than other people, talking about him with other people, and the picture on my phone IS duke!! Aw man...
And Rachel (Tollestrup) don't worry about us being baby people!! We totally are and us having a dog is JUST preparation for a baby (even though we love him like he is our baby)
Hey, we found your blog from Brandon & Mel's, and we've been secretly checking out your life...so we decided to let you know. Hope you don't mind. :) We love all your pictures.
you can stop by our blog sometime if you'd like...
goodsells.blogspot.com.
Say hi to Rexburg for us.
Post a Comment