Monday, March 5, 2012

My Life as a SAHM

Over and over and over again since becoming a SAHM (stay at home mom) I have been asked the same perplexing question: "What do you do all day? Don't you get bored?" by working moms, other SAHMs, and not-yet moms alike. So I've decided to give a blanket answer so that maybe I can stop answering on the fly "Um, that's a good question, well..I...um..."

As a SAHM I...
Clean
Cook
Do laundry
Run errands
Read
Sew
Craft
Organize
Watch guilty pleasure TV shows
Take Connor on walks to the Library, Bank, or park
Play with Connor
Bathe Connor
Clothe Connor
Change Connor's diapers
Feed Connor
Occasional play dates (which at this age is really more moms getting together for adult conversation)
Plan vacations (dream and/or reality)

So you see, I keep myself pretty busy. Yes there are absolutely days when I am at a loss for what to do while Connor is napping if I'm between crafts or sewing projects. And there are certainly days I wonder if I have accomplished anything worthwhile. And most days I feel guilty that I get to be with Connor 24/7 while Adam works up a stress migraine at work (not that he'd rather be the one at home, let's be honest all you men out there).

True, it may not sound glamorous. That's because it's not. Frankly sometimes it's downright ugly. But I don't think motherhood was meant to be glamorous. It was meant to be humbling. Frustrating. Creative. Rewarding. Challenging. Heart warming. There are days when my hair and makeup just don't get done. There are occasions when I've put Connor in his crib, gone to my room, closed the door, and taken a few moments to *breathe*.

Being a SAHM isn't about doing super important *things* every day. It's more about giving your kids the gift of being raised by Mom and having a constant reliable friend/confidant/teacher/example/parent.

It may not sound like much to you, but this is what I've trained and practiced for my whole life. And I'll be honest, I love it.

5 comments:

Ruby said...

I definitely miss being a SAHM!! Those were the most peaceful memories I have ever had. Working full time is NOT where I want to be for the rest of my life... I think it's incredibly filling and hard work. You're awesome!!

Cait said...

Love this post! Thanks for the reminder of why we do it. Yesterday I reached a whole new leave of parenting when Traci blew chunks all over her bed and I stayed up all night as the 'barf catcher'. uggh. Somewhere in heaven I'll get bonus points for that hopefully. =)

Da Mama said...

SAHM huh? Well daughter, your blog was eloquently put. One might say it is the toughest job you will ever love! Truly it has it's moments, but I have never regretted a singe moment of my long career as a SAHM!
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

jkzank said...

Well said. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Thanks for this! Going to come back and reread it on those days I know I'll have when I wonder what in the world I'm doing. :)