Thursday, September 16, 2010

Rant

Cops. Police. Po Po. Do any of these words bring a happy feeling to you? Usually, I don't mind cops too much. All of the Idaho police I've encountered in the past have been very gentlemanly, forgiving, lenient, and genuinely kind. Well not this time bucko. Oh No! Yesterday I got pulled over by a dirtbag cop on a power trip. Yeah. This is how it went down:

Cop: (With a patronizing lilt) Is there a reason you didn't stop for that pedestrian?
Me: (Looking back at the empty crosswalk) Oh..Was there a pedestrian?
Cop: HA! (Scoffingly) Yes, the pedestrian IN the crosswalk.
Me: Oh, I guess I thought he had already finished walking through.
Adam: (Under his breath to the cop) Is there a reason YOU didn't stop for the pedestrian??
Cop: I need your license, registration, and insurance. I will be writing you a ticket today.

The ego-maniac then returns to his car where he proceeds to take 10 minutes writing out my ticket. During which time, Adam and I discuss the ridiculousness of said ticket. This pedestrian, who was not "IN" the crosswalk, merely waiting on the curb to cross, was then passed up by the cop. YES the cop did it first!! He then immediately pulled over to the side of the road, just beyond the pedestrian, watched me pass the pedestrian by just like he did, and flipped on his lights AS I DID IT!!! He knew he did something wrong, and was just waiting for the person behind him to do it too!

Cop: Here's your ticket for $85. (Continues on in his best patronizing voice to show me every detail of the ticket)
Me: Uh-huh (No longer Miss Nice Tonya)
Cop: Drive safely
Adam: (As cop walks away and window is still down) Yeah, you should stop for the pedestrian next time too.

*Deep Breath* Phew. Now, like the good citizen I am, I will go forfeit my precious $85 to this corrupt system...but they can't stop me from filing a complaint! HA! (Scoffingly)

4 comments:

Allen Family said...

I hate when cops have to go on a power trip like that. But on the good side, welcome back to Rexburg!

Brett and Liz Stephens said...

haha...i have to laugh because i had a similar experience with a pedestrian "in" a crosswalk ...

RyGuy said...

So, apologizing to people I may know who are cops, or love a cop...I hate traffic cops. I am convinced that personalities who become cops are controlling, authoritative people who want to wear a badge that makes people do what they tell them to. The last ticket I got was given in spanish fork on the way to Rachel's temple prep class before we got married. We were driving the speed limit, and saw an increased speed limit up ahead about a half a block. Because I started to speed up before I actually passed the sign, I was given a $100+ ticket. To quote my good friend Dan, "serve, protect, and kick us out."

Elder and Sister Walker said...

You know you can fight the ticket, don't you? I've fought several tickets and won every time. If the pedestrian was NOT in the crosswalk, then you did not fail to yield. He may have just been standing on the corner. Besides, the cop did it first. Tell the judge that.
I got the same ticket in Provo on Center st. It was for failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. First of all, the lines for the crosswalk were so faint you couldn't even tell there was a crosswalk, and second I didn't see any pedestrian, so he must have still been up on the sidewalk. I didn't fight this one, but you could try it. Worst case scenario, you still pay the fine, but you might just beat it.