Thursday, October 13, 2011

Drama at the Doctor

So today I finally got in for my 6 week post-pardum appointment with the OBGYN. Connor is 9 weeks old, but the week I was supposed to have my post-op my doctor went into labor with her own baby (4 weeks early). SO, since they were going to send me to a different doctor anyway, I decided to find my new doctor here in Fountain Valley. I called the one I wanted to start going to and they didn't have an appointment until today, at 9 weeks. Oh well.

Now let me paint the picture of this appointment. (Don't worry, even though it took place at the OBGYN it's PG rated) So I'm already a little anxious about the whole ordeal, going to a new doctor and getting the whole lovely checkup (although after having a baby I've been stripped of all embarrassment on that account). The doctor comes in and is quite handsome (great), but probably in his late 40s so I'm not too distracted. We have a little chat about histories and my pregnancy and delivery, then he gives me the paper sheet and tells me to strip and cover. The usual.

Cue Connor's hysterics. This boy is an angel baby, but of course he would get hungry right at the pinnacle of this appointment. I strip from the waist down, cover with sheet, and try to rock him to sleep in his carseat. Not working. The doctor comes in and asks if I need a few minutes. I tell him I think Connor's hungry so he tells me to go ahead and feed him, no rush, whatever I need. Nice guy. So, sitting there half naked under a sheet, I nurse. A couple minutes in, Connor unleashes heck in his diaper. Twice. I thought this might happen, because when he has a tummy ache and needs to go #2, he usually acts hungry so that I'll feed him, he relaxes, and does his business. I knew it would probably be seeping out the sides of his diaper a bit, but I figured I'd just let him fall asleep now that he was all relaxed and just change him as soon as we got home. I pull him out from under the hooter-hider to burp him and catch a glimpse of a wet yellow-brown spot on my paper sheet. After a little more investigation I find my sheet covered in Connor mess, and his sleeper completely soaked up the back. (Keep in mind the doctor could walk in at any moment and find me in this predicament) I quickly pull out diaper, wipes, and a spare outfit I thankfully had in the diaper bag. With all this and Connor in one arm, I use the other to try and fasten the poopy paper sheet around me so the doctor won't walk in and find it around my ankles while I'm changing my baby's poopy diaper and clothes on the patient bed. I change Connor as quickly as I can, put him in his seat, go through all the drawers in the room to find a new sheet, change the sheet and barely get it around me when the doctor walks in and asks if I'm ready. *PHEW* Just in time.

Connor then whined through the entire exam because he doesn't fall asleep in his carseat unless it's moving. Talk about drama. This new doctor probably thinks I have the whiniest baby in the planet. At least he doesn't know about the messy diaper and sheet in his trashcan.

By the time we got home, Connor looked like this:



Too little too late little buddy.

4 comments:

Ruby said...

That little baby looks completely innocent ;). Sounds like you're doing awesome! This story reminds me of a couple of doctor visits with max...

jkzank said...

Laughing..out loud! This is a perfect little story of what it is really like to be a first time Mom in the real world. Love it!

Elder and Sister Walker said...

I giggled all the way through the telling of your story. I just have this hysterical video playing in my head of what went on while you waited for the Doc. Oh, if men only knew what we go through!!! Thanks for the giggle!

Rachey said...

Isn't that exactly how it was supposed to go? Oh...maybe you didn't get that memo;)

I think that was your true initiation into motherhood, Connor was working hard to make it as rough as possible.