A lot of people have been asking about Gestational Diabetes and what it means exactly. First off, I guess I never fully announced that yes, I do have Gestational Diabetes. I have not been well educated on all the specifics yet myself because with the move I haven't found a new doctor and haven't gotten in to the hospital diabetes ed program quite yet-I'm working on it night and day though! What I do know is that I have to really watch my diet when it comes to sugar and carb intake. I've given up candy and sweets and substituted them for sugar-free chocolate (thank you Costco) and lots and lots of fruit (thank you Mom and Dad for your fruit trees). I am steadily making the switch to whole wheat breads, pastas, crackers, and basically just trying to eat more healthy. This is actually a huge blessing in disguise because I've never been the healthiest eater to say the least, and I feel so much more healthy overall. It hasn't been quite as difficult as I thought it would be either. It probably would have been a lot tougher if I'd had to make the switch without being pregnant, but being pregnant my biggest craving is fruit which is healthy and acceptable for my diet, and when I eat too much sugar or carbs in a day I inevitably end up throwing it up, so I have great motivation to stick to it!
As far as the baby goes, GD means that he will most likely be a very big, fat baby. This is completely ok with us because we simply love chubby babies! The downside to that is that I am at higher risk for c-section with him being potentially so large. I am really not crazy about that! GD also means that if I'm not very careful about my diet, that he could be born with low blood sugar and be at higher risk for diabetes himself. This in itself is also a great motivator to me to keep that diet!!
Anyway, here is my 24 week belly shot.

6 comments:
C-sections aren't that bad, in case you have to have one but I hope you don't! Also- you're my hero for being so good about the GD. I'm a full timer myself and can't seem to stop with the sugar... or carbs. You look beautiful! And I'm super jealous about the beach! Take care and post more pics!! Hi to Adam :)
My older sister Yara (also very tall [5'11"] and skinny like you) had GD with both her children and was able to have vaginal deliveries. It helped her to eat more healthy too, although right after her son was born she was holding him in one hand and a pan of brownies in the other. =) Someone has to make you brownies!
Best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy and that things go well! You look adorable and I'm sure you'll be a great mommy.
You look great! I too may need a c-section and not too happy about it but what ever it takes to get the babies here safely.
You look awesome Tonya!
Any luck finding a doctor yet? Did you call Emily?
Simply the cutest belly ever!! So great to finally have one isn't it.
you look so cute tonya!
dont stress too much about the gestational diabetes thing. i had it too and as long as you are sticking to your diet its not a big deal at all. our little girl was only 5lbs 15oz and i didnt have to have a c-section.
when you find a new doctor though you should ask him about equiptment to check your blood sugars. that really helped me to stick to my diet and made me feel better cause i knew i was on the right track! you look great!
Post a Comment