Tuesday, August 21, 2012

1 YEAR OLD!

I've been remiss! My little boy turned 1 and it's been such a crazy ride I haven't even blogged about it! You'll see why when the story is done:

We celebrated Connor's birthday a week early because we were on vacation with my family and wanted to celebrate it all together. My side of the family had our reunion at a beach house this year that we rented for the week. The house was right between Ventura and Santa Barbara. It was fabulous! We relaxed, took turns watching each others kids so the adults could take leisurely midday naps, we went to some awesome tide pools, went up to Solvang (the Danish village up in the mountains I've written about before), saw the new Batman movie (thank you Mimi and Melanie for watching the kids so we could) etc etc. It was a great vacation.

So while all of Connor's cousins were together, which sadly doesn't happen nearly as much as it should due to long distances, we decided to have his birthday party. It was a small affair, just as 1st birthdays should be in my opinion. He "opened" presents (thank you all!!), I baked small animal shaped cakes for everyone and we all decorated our own, Connor made a great mess for the camera, and then he took a bath! End scene.

We ended up very grateful that we celebrated his birthday a week early because on his actually birthday this happened:

We found out it was the last day of the Orange County Fair, so we decided to go. It was super hot and unbearably yucky, but we made the most of it. We walked through all the exhibits, saw some animals, and ate more than our share of fried food (because that's why you go to a fair, right??) When we got home we all took naps. Ahhh. Connor had caught a wee cold during our week at the beach, as is bound to happen when you get that many people in one house together. But that evening it started to sound pretty bad. He was struggling to breath and running a bit of a fever, so we called the on-call pediatrician and she said to steam him in the bathroom for about 30 minutes and if that doesn't work take him to the ER. We ended up in the ER and the diagnosis was...CROUP. Oh what an abysmal illness! Our sad little birthday boy sounded like a barking seal for days!! After an hour and a half in the ER then a trip to the 24 hour pharmacy, we put him to bed and prayed we'd make it through the night! We were so nervous he'd just stop breathing and we wouldn't know it! So needless to say I was up several times that night checking on him!

After Hand, Foot, Mouth and Croup I had to ask the question: Am I a horrible mother?! Both of our moms said they've felt the same thing after their kids have gotten sick back to back with some of these things. I guess his well-mannered easiness was bound to catch up with me in one way or another!

So the moral of the story here is:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CONNOR BOY!! You've been a joy and a blessing from the day you entered our lives more than 1 year ago! We love you!
(The following pictures are just birthday pictures. For beach reunion pics see next post)


































Connor is still tall and thin, 90%ile for height and about 60%ile for weight.
He is climbing up on the couch, walking along furniture, starting to stand on his own for a few seconds, walking well with the help of our fingers or a walking toy, eating a few more solids (cheerios, yogurt melts, veggie straws) but still mainly lives on pureed foods, babbles and laughs but still seems quiet compared to his friends, super adventurous with not a cautious bone in his body, is becoming a social butterfly with not an ounce of shyness, stranger-danger, or worry that Mom and Dad aren't around, likes to share (for now), is pulling open cupboards and drawers and making messes, waves hello and good-bye, is a Mama's boy, gets really excited when Dad gets home and it's time to wrestle (again with the reckless abandon).

6 comments:

jkzank said...

He just keeps on getting more cute the older he gets! His hair looks like it has bleached out a bit from the summer too. You are a great mom and all kids, sadly, get sick..often. I hope we have an excuse to see you all again soon.

Ruby said...

You're an amazing mother! I know the feeling though :) Happy Belated to your beautiful little man. He's huge! I think he's as tall as Max (ok, it was bound to happen sooner or later). Hope he is feeling all better now!

Lauren said...

Oh, those pictures of the hospital visit are just so sad. Poor little guy. Nothing worse than having a sick little one, but nothing you can do to prevent it either. It happens! I remember Luke getting croup a TON when he was little, some kids are just more prone to it.

Looks like a fun beach trip with the family... now that I have a kid/soon-to-be-2 kiddos, I'm seriously reconsidering the whole beach "camping" thing... a bed and functioning kitchen/bathrooms sound so much more appealing!

Da Mama said...

Ok Tonya, those pictures pulled on Mimi's very last heart string! Seriously. Good thing I hadn't seen the whole lineup of pics when I heard about his sickness or I would likely been on your doorstep within a few hours. Conner does pathetic well! So glad he is better and that I got to see if first hand last week.
By the way, good use of the word "abysmal" teacher daughter!

Rachey said...

Glad he had a happy party at the beach house before he got sick! I feel bad you have already experienced these intense illnesses only one year into motherhood! That makes you more experienced than me. I will have to call you for advice when my kids get unlucky enough.

P.S. no judging of moms with sick kids here

The Ranson Family said...

Happy birthday to Connor ! He is getting so big!