Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Bottle Help

Any advice for getting a baby to take a bottle? Connor WILL NOT take a bottle. Or a pacifier. The pacifier I can accept, but the bottle is absolutely necessary sometimes. He took a bottle for the first 2 months or so, rejected it once and then we got lazy and didn't try it again. Now we're paying for it. There are/will be times when I need to go somewhere I can't take Connor and I can't just let him starve! I realize that trying this at almost 5 months old is not going to be the easiest thing.

So..any suggestions? Could it have anything to do with the fact that he's tongue-tied? He nurses just fine, but the second that bottle nipple touches his tongue he gags and makes a "sour milk face". I've tried every type of bottle and nipple, I've tried holding him in different positions, I've tried different people (Adam and my mom), I've tried formula and breast milk...

I'm at my wits end. Help please!

5 comments:

Brett and Liz Stephens said...

All I can say is good luck. Oakley never would take one either. So for 10 and a half months I put up with it until I decided she had to learn the sippy and drink whole milk because I was done. Hope you can get him to take one.

Allen Family said...

I would do a sippy. Then you don't have to switch him from a bottle to a sippy. Just one transition. GOod luck!

Ruby said...

soo... i went through every type of bottle with max. he ended up liking the cheapest ones (the ones that don't really look safe, weird i know). i would introduce it, then let him nurse. of course max wasn't the best at nursing but he also wasn't a fan of the bottle at all. hang in there!

Rachey said...

Maybe get a reduced flow nipple? Gavin has not been good with bottles either, so we got the newborn flow and then he stopped gagging.

But I have a feeling he really won't use bottles much, he uses sip cups fine so he will probably go straight to those which might be a good option for Connor as well.

Meghan said...

We had the same problem with Penny but then her doctor wanted us to try her exclusively on a hypoallergenic formula for a week to see if it would help with her digestive problems. So we just did it. It was hard at first but we went cold turkey and when she got hungry enough she took it and after a couple of days she was a pro. The flip side however was that after a week solid of only bottle feeding(me pumping to keep up my milk) she wouldn't breastfeed anymore- and that, in my opinion, is much harder to force them into doing. So we were done breastfeeding when she was only 4 months old:(.